Lighting Facts28 April
Did You Know This About Light Bulbs and LED Lamps?
- There are approximately 4 billion light bulb sockets in the U.S. This includes both residential and commercial.
- The U.Ss purchases about 2 billion residential light bulbs a year or about 5.5 million bulbs a day.
- 81% of Americans say that using energy-saving lights is a good environmental practice.
- Under federal law, incandescent light bulbs (the bulbs that most Americans use in their homes today) will be completely phased out by 2014.
- More than half (61%) of Americans are not aware of the legislation to phase out incandescent light bulbs. And 84% of people, ages 18-24, are not aware of the legislation.
- The U.S. spends approximately $71 billion a year in electricity on lighting. That is 22% of the total US electricity bill. (2006)
- LED lights can have a lifetime of 50,000 hours or more in continuous operation. Depending on how many hours-a-day they are operating, that can be anywhere from 6 to 7 years to as many as 20 to 30 years.
- It is predicted that global sales of general-purpose LEDs will triple to $14.9 billion in 2013 from $5.1 billion in 2008, a compound annual growth rate of 24%.
- LED lighting can save up to 85% of the electricity used by incandescent bulbs and up to 50% of electricity used by fluorescents.
- Rapid adoption of LED lighting in the United States over the next 20 years would reduce electricity demands from lighting by one-third, eliminate 258 million metric tons of carbon emissions, eliminate the construction of 40 power plants and create financial savings that could exceed $200 billion.